Devon Alexander Returns Nov. 21

By Caryn A. Tate on October 29, 2017
Devon Alexander Returns Nov. 21
Alexander holds wins over Marcos Maidana, Lucas Matthysse, and Jesus Soto Karass.

Former welterweight champion Devon Alexander will return to the ring on November 21 to face Walter Castillo…

Former welterweight world champion Devon Alexander will return to the ring on Tuesday, November 21 to face Walter Castillo in the ten-round main event of Premier Boxing Champions’ TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYS on FS1 and BOXEO DE CAMPEONES on FOX Deportes. The televised broadcast will begin at 8:00pm ET/5:00pm PT.

The co-main event will feature welterweights Miguel Cruz squaring off against David Grayton. Two of the Russell brothers, Antonio and Antuanne (featherweight world champion Gary Russell Jr.‘s brothers) will fight in separate six-rounders on the card.

The southpaw Alexander (26-4, 14 KOs) has been away from the ring for two years due to health issues. The native of St. Louis, Missouri holds wins over the likes of Marcos Maidana, Lucas Matthysse, and Jesus Soto Karass. Devon won the welterweight world title in 2012 when he defeated Randall Bailey via unanimous decision. The following year, he was lost by decision to Shawn Porter.

“Two years is a long time to be away from something you love but I wanted to make sure when I come back that I would be 100 percent my old self,” Alexander said. “My last outings were not me, and a lot of my fans and people that know me are aware of that. I’ve been in constant training since then while getting my personal situation in order. Castillo is a good solid fight that is going to bring the best skills out of me. He’s not a slouch and he’s coming to fight. But it’s not about what Castillo coming to do. It’s about me making a statement to show people that I am still up there with the elite fighters, and I know that when I’m right, nobody can beat me.”
Castillo (26-4-1, 19 KOs) is moving up to welterweight from junior welterweight, where he’s fought for the last several years. Fighting out of Managua, Nicaragua, Castillo is coming off a 16-month layoff to face Alexander. In his most recent outing, Castillo lost by TKO to Sergey Lipinets, while prior to that he fought Keita Obara to a draw in a title eliminator bout.
“I think this could be one of my last great opportunities and I’m very excited for it,” said Castillo. “Devon Alexander is a great boxer and I will have to be at my very best. Even though I’ve been out of the ring, my condition will not be a problem. I am 100 percent ready to give Alexander trouble. I am working very hard on a game plan to stop Alexander shock everyone.”

Follow us on Twitter@boxing_com to continue the discussion

Discuss this in our forums

Related Articles

Leave a comment