Lucian Bute Injured

By Robert Ecksel on May 7, 2013
Lucian Bute Injured
"For my own good, I have to take the advice of my doctor and undergo this operation."


It’s bad for Canada. It’s bad for boxing. And last but not least, it’s bad for Lucian Bute.

The “biggest fight to ever take place between Canadian boxers,” the May 25 bout in Montreal between Lucian Bute (31-1) and Jean Pascal (27-2-1), has been postponed.

Bute, the former IBF super middleweight champion, and Pascal, the former WBC light heavyweight champion, were expected to sell out the 21,273-seat Bell Centre. But as luck wouldn’t have it, Bute was injured while training in Florida and will need surgery this week to remove bone fragments from his left hand.

“Obviously, when we first heard the news a few hours ago, we were all in shock,” said GYM President Yvon Michel, who was co-promoting the event with InterBox. “This is part of boxing and we are aware that we have to live and deal with these contingencies. Our perception is that this only a postponement. We ask Quebec to show understanding and patience. We wish a speedy recovery to Lucian.”

This is a big blow for Pascal, who has fought just once since losing his WBC title to Bernard Hopkins in May 2011. But it’s a bigger blow for Bute, who was continuing to pick up the pieces after being crushed by Carl Froch in May of last year.

“We now need to start over,” said Pascal, “but I am a professional. I know that these things happen and I think that sooner or later, we will both be in the ring to settle our differences. And I would like to add that I would still fight on May 25. I am ready to face anyone.”

“I am very disappointed by this injury,” the 33-year-old Bute added. “I have never been in better shape. My preparation was ahead of schedule until late last week. The fans that paid high ticket prices to see me in action against Pascal deserve to see both boxers at their best. Unfortunately, I would be far from my best in my present state. For my own good, I have to take the advice of my doctor and undergo this operation. I feel very sad for the fans.”

The fans, in turn, feel very sad for Lucian Bute.

Follow us on Twitter@boxing_com to continue the discussion

BUTE vs PASCAL - PROMO



Bute Vs Pascal , Côte à Côte, Side By Side



Jean Pascal vs Lucian Bute Promo



Read More Blogs
Discuss this in our forums

Related Articles

Comments

This is a place to express and/or debate your boxing views. It is not a place to offend anyone. If we feel comments are offensive, the post will be deleted and continuing offenders will be blocked from the site. Please keep it clean and civil! We want to have fun. We want some salty language and good-natured exchanges. But let's keep our punches above the belt...
  1. nicolas 11:57am, 05/08/2013

    So many fighters today seem to get injured. One almost feels that Vegas or whatever could have betting odds that a scheduled fight that is supposed to happen won’t. Hopefully that same day Kessler-Froch will happen. After how Bute was destroyed by Froch, I didn’t see Bute winning this fight. My feeling was that Pascal would stop him in nine.

  2. Ted 05:15pm, 05/07/2013

    There goes my trip to Montreal.

Leave a comment