Minor Change to Canelo-Golovkin Undercard

By Marc Livitz on September 13, 2017
Minor Change to Canelo-Golovkin Undercard
Rivera was the original choice to face the undefeated Diaz, yet he was asked to step aside.

“I am grateful for this last-minute chance and there is no way I am letting this opportunity pass me by…”

Rafael “Bang Bang” Rivera will find his wish granted on Saturday evening when he steps into the ring to face unbeaten 2012 Olympian Joseph “JoJo” Diaz at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Rivera (25-0-2, 16 KO’s), a native of Tijuana, B.C., MX was the original choice to face the undefeated Diaz (24-0 13 KO’s), yet he was asked to step aside in order to allow Jorge Lara a spot in the WBC featherweight title elimination contest. Earlier this week, Lara (29-0-2, 21 KO’s) was forced to pull out of the match for reasons that were specifically unspecified, yet various news outlets have indicated a back injury as the cause.

All things considered, Rivera should be ready to go because he’s been training for a bout set to take place next weekend. He seemed prepared for the chance to face his Los Angeles area opponent.

“Originally, I was hoping to get a shot at JoJo Diaz,” he said. “When that didn’t pan out, I took another fight for next week. I’ve therefore been training and I am in the best shape of my life. I am grateful for this last-minute chance and there is no way I am letting this opportunity pass me by.”

Joseph Diaz didn’t seem too frazzled by the change. “I don’t care who is in front of me,” said the 2012 Olympian. “I’m leaving with a win on September 16. After I have my hand raised in victory, I will be one fight away from realizing my dream of winning a world championship.”

Follow Marc Livitz on Twitter at https://twitter.com/fightawrita

Follow us on Twitter@boxing_com to continue the discussion

Read More Blogs
Discuss this in our forums

Related Articles

Leave a comment