Velazquez Robbed in Manila
Grizzled veteran Hector Velazquez (56-21-3) remains competitive in a 21-year career that began in 1993…
“We knew coming to the Philippines we had to win by a knockout, I trained very hard for this fight [against Farenas], I sacrificed so much and then this happens.”—Velazquez
“I am ready for a rematch…The Philippine Boxing Commission needs to be professional and overturn this bad decision and order an immediate rematch, if they don’t order a rematch, then it shows that the Philippines are not practicing sportsmanship and equality.”—Velazquez
Grizzled veteran Hector Velazquez (56-21-3) remains competitive in a 21-year career that began in 1993. In fact, he just “lost” to Michael “Iron Fist” Farenas (38-4) on March 21, 2014 in Manila in a fight that ended in a highly controversial manner. A severe and deep cut was suffered by Velazquez on his right eyelid near the bridge of his nose. Referee Bruce McTavish ruled that the cut was caused by a punch. The respected McTavish said he was out of position and deferred to the ringside judges, two of whom somehow someway ruled the cut to be the product of a punch. Yet TV replays showed that the cut was caused by an accidental and massive headbutt. It was a clear as crystal. This fight was for the WBC Asia Council Continental super featherweight title.
“I don’t know about that. That is bullshit,” said Velazquez’s handler Mike Lopez who was visibly angered by the decision. Fact is, it was bullshit as this video shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKewdGV7Vpc
Over the years, the rugged and likable Velazquez has fought the stiffest opposition imaginable including the likes of Thomas Dulorme, Jorge Linares, Mickey Bey, Edwin Valero, Elio Rojas, Manny and Bobby Pacquiao, Rocky Juarez, Israel Vazquez, Kevin Kelley, Vitali Tajbert, Robbie Peden, Mahoni Montes, Guty Espadas Jr., and the late Oscar Gonzalez, but he has had only limited success when he stepped up in class. In March 2003, he KOd Jesse Magana in Huntington Park, California to win the IBA featherweight title and then engaged in a NC against Argentinian Carlos Alberto Ramon Rios (48-4-2) before stopping (and retiring) Raul “Jbaro” Perez (61-5-3) in Las Vegas in 2000. He also stopped and ruined Columbian Evan Belano (37-2) at the Great Western Forum in 1997. Many of his former opponents have since retired. Last year, the active Velazquez, 39, fought five times.
While the son of Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, will probably never win a world title, neither should he be underestimated as he is the very essence of a journeyman still capable of pulling off a big surprise. Still, while he dearly loves the sport, perhaps the time has come to tone things down just a bit instead of flying half way around the world only to get shortchanged by two judges who missed a head butt in plain sight and where the replay contradicts what they thought they’ve seen.
But first things first as a rematch with Farenas (if not a No Contest) seems a distinct possibility and is certainly justified. See this excellent summary by Mike Angel Lopez of PhilBoxing.com: http://philboxing.com/news/story-93217.html